ผู้เขียน หัวข้อ: Mustang 2.3 EB vs 5.0: 4 Banger versus V8  (อ่าน 4693 ครั้ง)

MacH1

• บุคคลทั่วไป
Mustang 2.3 EB vs 5.0: 4 Banger versus V8
« เมื่อ: กันยายน 26, 2014, 10:17:09 »

POV test on both stang variants.

4 Banger 2.3 Ecoboost (310ps)
http://youtu.be/xDKLB09j1fo?list=LLjAw3_G8ks0-GbU_SIBzdXA

5.0 small block V8 (435ps)

Despite well-acclaimed performance of 2.3EB, I think 5.0 still comes out on top (particularly with its Murica V8 soundtrack).

ออฟไลน์ Pan Paitoonpong

• กระทู้: 6,457
  • Long live M/T
Re: Mustang 2.3 EB vs 5.0: 4 Banger versus V8
« ตอบกลับ #1 เมื่อ: กันยายน 26, 2014, 10:31:41 »
I'd rather think most performance-minded buyers will tick the box for V8 anyway. Mustang used to have 4-banger turbo before during the oil crisis, but then all cherised Mustangs, among enthusiasts, are V8 either with or without blower. The lion roar-like noise when it passes by is definitely addictive. If I have to buy American Pony, yes I'll pick the V8.

But if they make an inline six with the blower like what they did to down under's Falcon, I'll give a second thought.
- Nissan Tiida บ้านๆ/NX Coupe/AE111/190E1.8

MacH1

• บุคคลทั่วไป
« ตอบกลับ #2 เมื่อ: กันยายน 26, 2014, 11:36:46 »
V8 has been always the staple of Yank muscles/Ponies. It has epitomised Stang since MADMEN era.

Mustang SVO was introduced during mid 1980s, by that time detroit was in real mess. Performance wise, that 4-banger wasn't that bad (by 1980s standard) and in fact could smoke some 5.0 (yes, quite embarrassing). Even so, 4 banger yanks seem to be indifferent from 4-banger Jap imports.

A further point, both SVO and 5.0 of 1980s were far cry from what the blue oval achieved during MADMEN era. 

Stroke8

• บุคคลทั่วไป
« ตอบกลับ #3 เมื่อ: กันยายน 26, 2014, 15:32:41 »
There are 2 different types of "performance-minded buyers" The one who race on the drag strips, and the one who race on the road course.

The SVO was NOT for the drag strips people, and the reason that it flopped is because it cost 6000$ more than the V8 in 1984. You do get a host of mechanical upgrades with the SVO which should've been on the V8 GT, but ultimately only 1 actually ended in regular V8, and that was the quad-shock system, which included a set of horizontally mounted shock absorbers to control axle tramp. Rednecks who bought the V8 wouldn't have paid more for the Koni suspension, bigger brakes, and the much improved TRW steering system. All of which made the SVO in the same class as those more sophisticated imports of the 1980's, and no, not just the Japanese imports like the Supra or 280ZX, but pretty close to the Porsche 944 as well. It was not a car stuck in the pre-historic, it was a car for sophisticated people who wish they could have something better, a good package overall, not people who only aspire to copious amount of everything to compensate what they don't have. Oh, and Ford didn't lose money on the SVO. That's gotta be something innit?

I mentioned the SVO before so that you'd maybe educate yourself more about the history of the car itself. But it seems to me that you hadn't done anything else apart from merely mentioning it here because you don't know anything else. You left out the Carburetted 2.3 Turbo of 1979, which got 132hp compared to the "4.9" V8 140hp. That one had a host of mechanical problems such as oil starvation which completely ruins the Turbo. And you seems to completely forgot about the "Mustang II", which for a while, did not even have any V8 option. The dork age for the Mustang was not the Fox Body, but rather the Mustang II of 1974-1979.

MacH1

• บุคคลทั่วไป
« ตอบกลับ #4 เมื่อ: กันยายน 26, 2014, 17:34:01 »
There are 2 different types of "performance-minded buyers" The one who race on the drag strips, and the one who race on the road course.

The SVO was NOT for the drag strips people, and the reason that it flopped is because it cost 6000$ more than the V8 in 1984. You do get a host of mechanical upgrades with the SVO which should've been on the V8 GT, but ultimately only 1 actually ended in regular V8, and that was the quad-shock system, which included a set of horizontally mounted shock absorbers to control axle tramp. Rednecks who bought the V8 wouldn't have paid more for the Koni suspension, bigger brakes, and the much improved TRW steering system. All of which made the SVO in the same class as those more sophisticated imports of the 1980's, and no, not just the Japanese imports like the Supra or 280ZX, but pretty close to the Porsche 944 as well. It was not a car stuck in the pre-historic, it was a car for sophisticated people who wish they could have something better, a good package overall, not people who only aspire to copious amount of everything to compensate what they don't have. Oh, and Ford didn't lose money on the SVO. That's gotta be something innit?

I mentioned the SVO before so that you'd maybe educate yourself more about the history of the car itself. But it seems to me that you hadn't done anything else apart from merely mentioning it here because you don't know anything else. You left out the Carburetted 2.3 Turbo of 1979, which got 132hp compared to the "4.9" V8 140hp. That one had a host of mechanical problems such as oil starvation which completely ruins the Turbo. And you seems to completely forgot about the "Mustang II", which for a while, did not even have any V8 option. The dork age for the Mustang was not the Fox Body, but rather the Mustang II of 1974-1979.

1970s and 1980s represent the lost decades for yank muscles and ponies. Substantial loss of firepowers were clearly present. Stang and other machines of those waning days lost much of glory they used to associate with back in MADMEN era (1960s).    

Perhaps, everything already went down the hill from 1972-73. In this case, 1980s 4 banger and 5.0 Stang were pos, they lack of "awesomeness" that MADMEN era V8 machines, i.e. GT-500, boss 429 and MacH1 had.

BTW I know Mustang II and consider it as the total disaster, even worst than the contemporary Firebird and Camaro. However, Fox Stang wasn't better either.  MADMEN era stangs remain the greatest machines.

On the new Stang,I do not refrain myself from getting the new 2.3EB. The new 4-banger look promising BUT V8 (either 5.0 or GT350SVT) is still favoured. Tariff (pre-historic one imposed in our third world economy) and variation for RHD vehicles are critical factors.  
« แก้ไขครั้งสุดท้าย: กันยายน 26, 2014, 18:07:35 โดย MacH1 »

Stroke8

• บุคคลทั่วไป
« ตอบกลับ #5 เมื่อ: กันยายน 26, 2014, 18:17:28 »
I doubt you even know the reason why the original Mustang was successful, you cannot even spell "Mach 1" correctly. And I'm sure you don't know what Mach 1 Optional Package comprised of. I'm sure you don't know anything about the rise and fall of the "supercar", muscle car, and pony cars either. And that you have no idea what TEL is, or the difference between Gross and Net Horsepower. And I'd bet on that if I say "CAFE" you'd think I'm talking about Starbucks.

I have never seen Madmen, I've heard that it's pretty good. But it's barely represented what motoring culture in 1960's America was. So stop daydreaming about some glorified lead-filled era that you don't even know much about, you aren't fooling anybody.

Oh by the way, I wouldn't called the Mustang II a total disaster, after all, three of the ten top selling Mustang model years are 1974, 1975 and 1978... Guess what! Mustang II era!

MacH1

• บุคคลทั่วไป
« ตอบกลับ #6 เมื่อ: กันยายน 26, 2014, 19:40:24 »
I doubt you even know the reason why the original Mustang was successful, you cannot even spell "Mach 1" correctly. And I'm sure you don't know what Mach 1 Optional Package comprised of. I'm sure you don't know anything about the rise and fall of the "supercar", muscle car, and pony cars either. And that you have no idea what TEL is, or the difference between Gross and Net Horsepower. And I'd bet on that if I say "CAFE" you'd think I'm talking about Starbucks.

I have never seen Madmen, I've heard that it's pretty good. But it's barely represented what motoring culture in 1960's America was. So stop daydreaming about some glorified lead-filled era that you don't even know much about, you aren't fooling anybody.

Oh by the way, I wouldn't called the Mustang II a total disaster, after all, three of the ten top selling Mustang model years are 1974, 1975 and 1978... Guess what! Mustang II era!

It seems Stroke 8 increasingly deviates out of the topic (in this case the stang) and intentionally commits impolite provocation;

i.e.  "And that you have no idea what TEL is, or the difference between Gross and Net Horsepower. And I'd bet on that if I say "CAFE" you'd think I'm talking about Starbucks."

"I'm sure you don't know what Mach 1 Optional Package comprised of. I'm sure you don't know anything about the rise and fall of the "supercar", muscle car, and pony cars either."

Start blaming without empirical evidences huh?

"stop daydreaming about some glorified lead-filled era"

I doubt you have authority to stop me huh? I am rooting for mid-century era. I consider myself as an Americophile. I dress Ivy-league look and American continental. I prefer Yanks TV series over crappy Thai soap opera. And of course, I am fond of big engines vehicles; no matter it is euro or yank. As a freeman, I daydream/fantasize the heck I want.

On mustang II

They were suck big time, compared to 1960s stang, particularly lates 60s ones. If they were good, they should have been long sought after.

« แก้ไขครั้งสุดท้าย: กันยายน 26, 2014, 22:23:02 โดย Ivy Modernist »

Stroke8

• บุคคลทั่วไป
« ตอบกลับ #7 เมื่อ: กันยายน 26, 2014, 20:14:02 »
This is going to be fun, I guess I should set up a snack stand at the thread entry! :D

เมื่อแรกเชื่อว่าเนื้อทับทิมแท้           มาแปรเป็นพลอยหุงไปเสียได้
กาลวงว่าหงส์ให้ปลงใจ                           ด้วยก็ได้ดูหงอนแต่ก่อนมา
         คิดว่าหงส์เราจึงหลงด้วยลายย้อม      ช่างแปลงปลอมท่วงทีดีนักหนา
ดังรักถิ่นบุจสินท์ไม่คลาดคลา                    ครั้นลับตาฝูงหงส์ก็ลงโคลน

MacH1

• บุคคลทั่วไป
« ตอบกลับ #8 เมื่อ: กันยายน 26, 2014, 20:17:59 »
Some lad does not even realise he was the one who provoked first

Hilarious...... ;D
« แก้ไขครั้งสุดท้าย: กันยายน 26, 2014, 22:24:29 โดย Ivy Modernist »

Stroke8

• บุคคลทั่วไป
« ตอบกลับ #9 เมื่อ: กันยายน 26, 2014, 20:19:25 »
ถ้าด่าภาษาอังกฤษมาลำบากขนาดนี้แต่ได้แค่นี้ ด่าเป็นภาษาไทยก็ได้ครับ ผมไม่ถือ

Stroke8

• บุคคลทั่วไป
« ตอบกลับ #10 เมื่อ: กันยายน 26, 2014, 20:31:31 »
ผมขอหยุดการสนทนาเอาไว้เพียงเท่านี้นะครับ ด้วยเหตุผลหลายๆอย่าง

MacH1

• บุคคลทั่วไป
« ตอบกลับ #11 เมื่อ: กันยายน 26, 2014, 20:34:43 »
ผมขอหยุดการสนทนาเอาไว้เพียงเท่านี้นะครับ ด้วยเหตุผลหลายๆอย่าง

I think you are trying to bury the fact that you deliberately continuously provoked me.

Evidences such as
"I doubt you even know..."

"I'm sure you don't know anything about"

"I'd bet on that if I say "CAFE" you'd think I'm talking about Starbucks."

They clearly connote a certain degree of provocation.

Such disgrace and coward.....  ::)  
« แก้ไขครั้งสุดท้าย: กันยายน 26, 2014, 20:38:37 โดย MacH1 »